Quick Q&A With Matt Muenster
Marketplace Events (MPE): What got you interested in interior design?
- Matt Muenster (MM): "It was a course I took in college on architectural history - it got me passionate about design and helped me to focus. From there I enrolled in the interior design program and never looked back."
- MM: "Bathrooms happened because the show happened. I was designing almost every type of space available until this opportunity came along. What this has done though is help me focus on one space and learn all there is to know. What I've learned is it's not only the hardest room to renovate in your home, but the payoff from a successful renovation, both financially and emotionally, is the greatest. It's an underutilized and underrated room in every home - and my job is to change all that."
- MM: "Size - and anything we can do during the renovation to make it bigger. After that, every bathroom demo is exactly the same. The challenge is putting it back together. No one bathroom is more challenging than another; it's all about making it work for those who are using it."
- MM: "Have a plan before you start. Know everything about the step you're working and the next two or three down the line before you even begin. Plan your work, and work your plan. Also, know your limitations. If you've never worked with plumbing before, a few YouTube videos or a book probably isn't going to teach you all you need know. Bite the bullet, and hire skilled labor where you can make big mistakes yourself. The overall outcome will be that much better."
- MM: "I have. I was there for the Super Bowl a few years ago. I hope people come out to the show and my presentations with questions to ask. I definitely want to impart my knowledge on bathroom design, but I will have a lot more fun if I can interact with everyone and answer their questions. It keeps me on my toes and is infinitely more interesting to me!"
JANUARY 23 - FEBRUARY 1, 2015.
INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUNDS